Skip to main content

Why would you call the police?

I’ve never had an experience in which calling the police made things better. In every case where I’ve seen them show up, they roll in with bravado, hubris, anger and fear. And in every case I’ve seen and experienced, they make things worse.


Been robbed?

They don’t care. They’ll make a report, but it’s an annoyance to them, just the necessary paperwork for you to file an insurance claim for what was stolen, if you’re lucky enough to have insurance. Will they go after the robber? Help you deal with the trauma of how unsafe and violated you feel? Ha! Good luck.


A car accident? Same thing. Better to just exchange insurance info and take care of it yourselves. If it’s worse than that, medics will arrive. The medics actually help! They calm down the people who’ve just experienced the trauma, they deal with injuries and help address the pain.


Police only escalate. They only make things worse.

I mean, imagine you’re a young woman who has been raped – would you call the police? They arrive with their bravado and humiliate, victim-shame and degrade – then if you’re lucky enough to be believed and taken to the hospital to be examined, the so-called ‘rape kit’ will be tossed in an evidence room and sit there for ten years or more. Have you followed the news that’s come out about this the last couple of years? Every state across the nation is the same: they ignore and fail to prosecute these cases.


Someone has been shot – they are hurt! Would you call the police?

If you call 911, just hope that the ambulance arrives there first. Police will not find the shooter, and they certainly won’t help the injured person. They may, however, escalate and make things worse. In fact, this is the most likely outcome.


Ok, but what if someone is driving recklessly and endangering everyone on the road? Shouldn’t we call the police then?

Hmmm. What will the police do in this situation? They will begin a car chase, which will endanger even more people.

But how to deal with this situation – it’s a bit more tricky, because while there may be a reason for reckless driving (getting someone to a hospital, for example), it’s more likely just some selfish jerk who gets off by driving fast and furious. Maybe there’s a combination of solutions. We can use technology to slow them down – a machine that punctures their tires or something. I’m not sure. But I do know that there’s got to be a better way than calling the cops!

Interestingly, in Germany where the Autobahn highway has no speed limit, they have less of this type of behavior and fewer accidents, because people are used to driving faster.

And who knows, in a few more years we may not have this problem anymore because only the wealthiest will be able to afford Teslas and the rest of us will simply be out of gas as the fossil fuels deplete and the climate crisis exacerbates….

But I digress.


Back to my main point: when would you call the police?

Because I, personally, cannot think of a situation in which an alternative solution would not be better than calling in the cops.


In fact (and here’s a way to use white privilege if you have it), I have a black friend who experienced harassment from a racist neighbor who got drunk regularly and threatened my friend with racist slurs. Did we call the police? Hmm. Whose side do you think they would take? Instead we formed a vigil, taking shifts sitting in our vehicles outside my friend’s house and documenting the neighbor, and if the neighbor started up, trying to talk him down – we did this for a few days, and the neighbor stopped the harassment. I guess the racist neighbor felt intimidated by the fact that this person he’d been harassing had so many white friends willing to stand up and be there. I’m not saying this is a perfect solution – but maybe community mediation or some other intervention could have worked. But NOT the police.

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Ziad Hassan

I remember the death of Ziad Hassan. He was making coffee for his family. The whole town was under closure. The year was 2002. The Israelis came in, as they did every dawn, creeping with their humvees and their jeeps - this time they didn't bring in the tank. But later that same day they did, tearing up the streets of Qalqilia, taking down all the palm trees that were in the median strip of the main road in town, crunching the pavement into pieces of rubble. Ziad was shot before we were awake. But I was on the ambulance crew - just an observer, just a helpless fucking 'human rights observer', doing the same thing Rachel Corrie was doing when she was crushed to death by a Caterpillar D9 bulldozer made in Peoria, Illinois for standing in front of a doctor's home in Rafah with a megaphone trying to tell them to stop. She was braver than me, maybe. I didn't stand in front of the D9. But I saw it. I saw it in Qalqilia. I took pictures as it came barreling down the stree

Burst the Bubble - Break Down the Wall of Silence Around Palestine!

Habiba: 8-year old daughter of a journalist - friend of a friend - killed in Gaza It's November 3rd, 2023. I am sitting here in Portland Oregon, the 'bubble within a bubble' as my friend from Jerusalem calls it. And I know that this is true - that this city is a bubble within a bubble - because somehow there seem to be two realities that are somehow coexisting, and I cannot reconcile that in my head or in my heart. For the past three weeks, my life has consisted of a constant stream of horror from Gaza - from morning until night, I scroll through images of burned and mutilated bodies, mothers screaming, fathers breaking down and crying as they hold the lifeless bodies of their kids. Another day, another massacre, this time in Jabalia refugee camp - and the videos show the before and after: kids and adults gathered in a circle in an open square. Then someone pointing to the sky and everyone running. Six missiles hit, all in a row, killing 400 people. Screams of horror, gray

Journal from New Orleans Post-Hurricane Katrina (15th anniversary edition)

On the fifteenth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, I thought it an appropriate time to share my journal from those days, 15 years ago, when I rushed to New Orleans to do what I could in the wake of the hurricane.   I happened to be in Portland, Oregon when Katrina hit New Orleans (followed by the breaking of the levees and the flooding). I was helping my sister with her baby at the time, and not paying too much attention to the news....the first warning I got that things were bad, really bad, in New Orleans, was when i heard a friend's voice on the radio, the Tuesday after the storm. My ears perked up when I heard his voice, then when I heard what he was saying I found myself next to the radio, clutching it with disbelief, “I'm here in Memorial Hospital in New Orleans”, he was saying. “The water is rising...There's no electricity, the people on life support are dying and we're running out of water.” His cell phone then cut off, and the radio station wasn't able