Skip to main content

Of Poetry and Movements and Martyrs

Last night in downtown Portland Oregon


I used to be a poet.

So I thought.

I impressed the lead beat at the hilltop coffeeshop in Georgetown

Who said he was an atheist, then looked around the room to see who was shocked by his admission

I used to weave words around fingers

around crowds

around music, and in and out of wind gusts, and off of the dark edge of moonlight

And into the deep moorings of judgement

And back again

Proud of my

self

And the looks on their faces when I

breathlessly

spoke the last word

of my poem.


I wasn’t a poet at Stanford.

The poetry teacher, bemused, took wind of my words and took wind from my sails and….

I didn’t fit into the mold.

And yet

That’s what poets are supposed to do, right?

Buck the system

Break the mold

Change the world.


But we didn’t.


It’s twenty years later and here

we are.

In the streets again

chanting

and hoping.

We were fearless then,

we poets.

And now must be again.


The martyrs of that movement...my friends...

it’s as if they were made to be martyrs….

The ones who didn’t make it past the fight

Their names even, stolen from some book of would-be martyrs

Brad Will

Jay Marx

Matt Power

They were people I knew

Among many

Fighting for a better world, a more just, a more equitable place for all.

And they were fighters, we were fighters

I was living my best life then.


The last time I saw Brad we were shouting at cops in New York City.

On the front lines

Always

We saw each other, nodded

Rode off on bikes in different directions

To the next front line of the fight

He to Mexico

Me to Palestine

He met death

I met love

And marriage

And self-sacrifice

And losing the edge

That got duller

Through the years


And Matt.

And Jay.

Were both fighters

Who died young

While they still knew everything.


But I got older.

Wiser?

Or stupider?

When we're eighteen we know everything

And things get less certain from there.


I no longer think I'm a poet.

A fighter?

I don't even dare.


Why do we even need poetry?

If it's not quatrains or sonnets or villanelles

Is it even a poem?

This thrust of danger

Twisting like a knife

A reminder

That poetry is not dead.

And the struggle continues.


Martyrs? There are so many.

Too many to count.

And the struggle continues.

Blood dries on pavement

Senseless deaths

And the poetry dries up

No longer full of life and vigor


Too many martyrs

Too many martyrs

Too many martyrs

The struggle continues.

As do the poems, the lifeblood of our creative energy

Our poetry must be pragmatic now.

It must, brick by brick and word by word, build barricades.

It must be thick, like molasses.

To stick their jackboots to pavement,

To jam their bullets in the barrels so they cannot escape

To kill more of us.

It must be slow, heavy, unyielding. It must be steadfast.

There, through the thickness of this poetry, through the tear gas, in the distance I see us.

Together, in our bright future,

Hand.

In hand.

In hand.

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Ziad Hassan

I remember the death of Ziad Hassan. He was making coffee for his family. The whole town was under closure. The year was 2002. The Israelis came in, as they did every dawn, creeping with their humvees and their jeeps - this time they didn't bring in the tank. But later that same day they did, tearing up the streets of Qalqilia, taking down all the palm trees that were in the median strip of the main road in town, crunching the pavement into pieces of rubble. Ziad was shot before we were awake. But I was on the ambulance crew - just an observer, just a helpless fucking 'human rights observer', doing the same thing Rachel Corrie was doing when she was crushed to death by a Caterpillar D9 bulldozer made in Peoria, Illinois for standing in front of a doctor's home in Rafah with a megaphone trying to tell them to stop. She was braver than me, maybe. I didn't stand in front of the D9. But I saw it. I saw it in Qalqilia. I took pictures as it came barreling down the stree

Burst the Bubble - Break Down the Wall of Silence Around Palestine!

Habiba: 8-year old daughter of a journalist - friend of a friend - killed in Gaza It's November 3rd, 2023. I am sitting here in Portland Oregon, the 'bubble within a bubble' as my friend from Jerusalem calls it. And I know that this is true - that this city is a bubble within a bubble - because somehow there seem to be two realities that are somehow coexisting, and I cannot reconcile that in my head or in my heart. For the past three weeks, my life has consisted of a constant stream of horror from Gaza - from morning until night, I scroll through images of burned and mutilated bodies, mothers screaming, fathers breaking down and crying as they hold the lifeless bodies of their kids. Another day, another massacre, this time in Jabalia refugee camp - and the videos show the before and after: kids and adults gathered in a circle in an open square. Then someone pointing to the sky and everyone running. Six missiles hit, all in a row, killing 400 people. Screams of horror, gray

Journal from New Orleans Post-Hurricane Katrina (15th anniversary edition)

On the fifteenth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, I thought it an appropriate time to share my journal from those days, 15 years ago, when I rushed to New Orleans to do what I could in the wake of the hurricane.   I happened to be in Portland, Oregon when Katrina hit New Orleans (followed by the breaking of the levees and the flooding). I was helping my sister with her baby at the time, and not paying too much attention to the news....the first warning I got that things were bad, really bad, in New Orleans, was when i heard a friend's voice on the radio, the Tuesday after the storm. My ears perked up when I heard his voice, then when I heard what he was saying I found myself next to the radio, clutching it with disbelief, “I'm here in Memorial Hospital in New Orleans”, he was saying. “The water is rising...There's no electricity, the people on life support are dying and we're running out of water.” His cell phone then cut off, and the radio station wasn't able